Sunday 11 January 2015

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Greetings one and all!

During the Steam Winter Sale one of my friends did a really awesome thing.
They bought me a game.
That game, was Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Now, I'd added it to my wish list not too long before it was acquired for me because I quite liked the idea of it. I'd barely seen any gaming videos OF the game, but the idea caught my brain and left a lingering idea that this was both a very daft but possibly very cool idea.

Today I installed and played some of it.
As of writing this, Saturday 10/01/15 I've only played 35 minutes of the game.
I was right. It's very daft and very cool.
It's also bloody hard!

It's been a long time since I really played any rhythm based games, I believe the last one I did with any sincerity was Elite Beat Agents... and although it was brilliant I did have a few issues with certain songs note QUITE hitting the beat with the touches. Just... so very close but off enough for me to avoid a perfect on certain tracks and thus driving me up the wall.
This one?
Well...
Crypt of the Necrodancer isn't a full release. It's in ... alpha or beta, I forget which one the game told me and that means there's room for things to change. That's cool! The game is very cool. I'm not doing TOO bad, as I'm still getting used to the mechanics and how the enemies move (VERY important in game) however on that first level I can't quite get into the rhythm of tapping my arrow key in time with the beat and CONTINUOUSLY tapping with the beat.
This is an odd sensation when the game is laid out like a rouge-like and my brain naturally wants me to stop and give the approaching enemies a quick look over and assessment however if you wanna keep that multiplier up then you have GOT to keep moving.
So I go around in little circles, or back and forth, to keep that beat going.
Which then distracts me from the oncoming enemies and keeping in time with their particular move sets.
Which leads to death.

It's a learning curve I most certainly was NOT ready for!
And you know what?

I'm REALLY loving it.

Also everyone seems to have forgotten that this game does in fact have some story to it!
It's right there in the opening cinematic!
I like it.

And I will be playing more of it!


That's all for now.
Have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment