Sunday 26 October 2014

Creatively Stumped

Greetings one and all!

Something a little different today.
Go back 10+ years and I used to daily write creatively. No hassle, just words flowing from finger to paper/screen. Now... that's gone way downhill and now I'm lucky to write a page a month. I find I just can not settle on something to write about and my brain always tells me that I must have SOME fixed idea of what I'm writing about. I can't be allowed to just write whatever comes to mind, it HAS to have a purpose, a character, a story or just a REASON.

Now, coming from this I've been doing a lot of thinking as to WHY I have developed this issue and while I think I'm nowhere close to answering that issue. I have had a thought on something else.

In my head, characters don't have hair colour/eye colour, height, weight, facial structure.
Now... that sounds odd. However that drew me to a deeper realisation about myself.

You see. In real life, I can have trouble defining a person by their physical features. It matters when I first take a look at someone but really, what matters to me is how they speak, how they act, their demeanour, their personality and their tone. All of that lot tells me FAR more about the person than the colour of their skin, their eye colour, their hair colour or all of the rest. Yeah I take note on if they are my height, taller or HOLY HECK YOU ARE A GIANT COMPARED TO ME. But this I think then feeds back into my writing.

Because when I think back over projects I wrote 10+ years ago, whether full stories or just little things I blurted out... I rarely go into things like height and weight, sometimes into the hair and eye colour but usually only to say something about social status (as with the hair) or the look IN someones eyes more so than the colour.

I'm not entirely too sure what to take from this, as it only came to me clearly today, but it's a thought. An interesting one. A telling one.

Hmm... This didn't end quite where I wanted it too...
Ah well,

That's all for now.
Have a lovely evening!  

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! Very interesting and thought provoking. My characters are always mapped out as to appearance... I wonder what that says about me lol. And I don't think you need to have a plan when you're writing, well I don't anyway, you just need to get the words out there, like you have with this enjoyable piece :D X

    ReplyDelete