Saturday 11 July 2015

My Favourite Moment From: The Avengers (Assemble)

Greetings one and all!


So, I've been, mulling this one for a little bit since re-watching The Avengers, or as us Brits know it Avengers Assemble (Because the modern public can't discern between the old British action flick The Avengers, and the modern Marvel superhero film).

Why have I been mulling it over?



Well, I wanted to work out how I was going to share with you one of my favourite moments. Now, when I first saw the film in the cinema I had some favourite moments then. Who can't argue the 'Puny God' and squeak that Loki gives out. Or the fight scene between Iron Man and Thor, with Captain America ending it. Oh! Or when Iron Man finishes the fight between Loki and Captain America in Germany.
Now, these moments are still really awesome to me but there's a line that stands out from Captain America that I find really sums up how WONDERFULLY written The Avengers is. How much attention there is to the little details that tell us SO much about a character whilst not actually telling us directly the fact.

Wanna know?
I hope so else I've written this for nothing!


It's when Captain America is getting himself geared up to chase after Thor who grabbed Loki from custody and Iron Man who shot off after them.
"There's only one God ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that"
When I first heard that line, it was a 'huh' moment.
Now to quickly give some context, I had not seen ANY of the Marvel Films that had been in the run up to this film. I was given only a couple of bits of information from my boyfriend (who had) which gave me a tiny bit of context, but not much. I'd asked what I needed to know and he'd provided a tidbit or two. I honestly forget what they were but they weren't much. Because he'd already seen the film, he knew in his fantastically geeky heart that I wouldn't need a lot.
I grew up at the end of the 80's and through the 90's, I knew the X-Men from the 90's cartoon, I knew who The Hulk was, I knew who Spiderman was. I didn't know who Captain America was (beyond 'he's a superhero representing America's values right?), Iron Man (I knew who played him and he'd been doing well for himself and fans liked him), I didn't know who Black Widow were or Hawkeye were. I knew of Thor (I like my mythologies and had seen posters) and knew of Nick Fury in a 'oh isn't Samuel L Jackson playing something badass in it?' but then again Samuel L Jackson doesn't often playing anything but a badass in stuff I've seen.
So I didn't walk in with loads of knowledge, enough that I wasn't a complete newb, but enough to get a bit of an outside perspective.

That line.
That line told me SO much about Captain America. It tells me in 1 line, 14 words, so much about him. Let me break it down.
First off, he calls the pilot/co-pilot Black Widow ma'am. A respectful term that doesn't presume anything about her, other than she's female. It doesn't presume she's married or not, got children or not, it presumes nothing but respect for her. He's not even knocking what she's said! 
Secondly, and obviously the biggest, he believe in A God. A single God. So probably some form of Christianity, probably one of the major splits of the religion ( You know, after the big split of Protestant/Catholic) and yet he's not pressing that issue on the woman he's talking to. He's just stating his belief that there is a single God
Thirdly, that he's saying he's 'pretty sure' he doesn't dress like that. Yet I find myself thinking that once again he's not forcing the issue. He's just saying what his opinion is without making an issue of it. This is my belief ma'am and I'm gonna stand by it (now excuse me whilst I jump out of a flying plane)

So yeah, I'm gushing about the brilliance of a single line of dialogue in a film FILLED with awesome dialogue the doesn't everything it can to tell you ALL you need to know about the people who are in it, the characters, their dynamic, how their histories blend and that as a group they will do what they can to save the world. (obviously that last bit is once the attacks started) But I wanted to share with you all just how amazing I thought that one small line was and what it meant to me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my Lego Loki looks like he wants to bust out of the display cabinet I've locked him away in.
That's all for now.
Have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment