Thursday 9 July 2015

Thoughts Followup: Splatoon

Greetings one and all!

So last time I wrote, I blogged about how I'd kinda fallen in a strange kind of love with Splatoon.

I've pumped a fair few more hours into the game now
One moment
20 hours and 59 minutes I'm up to now.

Considering the kind of game that Splatoon is, this really surprises me in some ways and really doesn't surprise me in others.

Seeing as I bought the game a week after release I really expected to already be behind when it came to the online multiplayer and yet there were always people with a lower level than myself. So far you start at level 1 and can get up to level 20. The first couple of levels progress very quickly so that you can unlock a few more weapons rather than just the basic shooter. Then things start to slow down some and as of the moment I think I'm about level 14ish? (I'm not gonna check, sorry)
Which means all the level 20 people I was playing with and against when I was level 7 had been playing FAR more Splatoon than I had and yet back then I was kicking some ass. Not so much in the multiplayer.

I participated in the recent Splatfest! Here in the UK (or possibly whole of Europe, I've no idea how they decided they were gonna break up the world into chunks with different questions) we got the choice of supporting wither 'Rock' or 'Pop'. I went for Rock, I like both (not so much modern Pop but a fair chunk of 80's pop was AWESOME) and in the grand scheme of things after the inky dust settled it turned out more people had gone for Rock anyway.
Considering quite a few matches I was in my team had to face another team of Rock supporters because there wasn't enough Pop ones at the time. It was a bit of a no-brainer.
Funnily enough speaking of that, there was a bit of mis-matching going on with the Splatfest.
Some poor person, whoever they were, ended up against 3 of us Rockers. YUP the matchmaking failed so badly that it was a 1 vs 3 match. I went in with the thought that I wouldn't go in and try and knock them off cos it was so unfair, I'd just potter around inking the place up and go for as much cover as possible. They decided to try and wipe me out, I defended myself, then continued inking up. At one point they were holding out really well. Unfortunately for them we were better.
That said, the amount of matches where someone just stood still and did nothing really got on my nerves.
OH! what's worse? The people who walk around slowly inking as many walls as possible. Inking walls does nothing unless you need to climb said walls, this one person though was inking every wall they could get ink to stick on which really effected the whole team.

Grr, moan moan.

Rather more pleasantly I finished off the Single Player and found that the final boss took me a fair few goes. I never completely ran out of lives on the thing but it was tough! The premise was simple enough once I worked THAT out, but the fact you had to get your timing just right amongst chaos made it quite the challenge. I enjoyed it!

1 more slight niggle.  I know that one of my good friends would really dig playing this game. The nutiness and neat art style are totally their thing. However they probably won't be able to play the game due to a nerve problem in their hand. I'm planning to record myself playing through the bosses in the next few days and will upload that for your and their delight. So keep an eye out for that!

Finally I will say that with near enough 21 hours plugged into the game I still find it quite fun. I've yet to do any of the Ranked Battles but that's because I know I'm not THAT good at this game. But whilst Nintendo still have the friendly battles I'll still play some multiplayer from time to time, and probably next time I play it'll be time to try out a new weapon. Whilst the base roller USED to be an awesome powerhouse people have been working out the balance and can now come back and kick my ass in ways that seem quite unfair (Though I'm pretty sure they're not, those people are just better than me)

So yes, I'd say it's still worth a blast and good for a giggle!

That's all for now.
Have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment