Tuesday 17 June 2014

Starting with the past. Part 1

Greetings one and all!

Today I wanted to talk about games I loved in the past. The kinda games I grew up with.
I went through a LOT before I got here.

Although there were a few games that stuck with me before this one. I thought I'd start with an educational game that I played SO MUCH it got almost silly.

The Magic School Bus Explores the Solar System.

I really loved the cartoon The Magic School Bus and when my local library got some copies of this game put onto their new computer systems I was hooked. I'd try and get to the library a little earlier on a Saturday morning so that I could get a computer in order to play this. (I strongly remember that the poor server system they had couldn't handle more than a few people playing the same game at once for some reason and would take a while to get going in the morning)
I remember struggling with the jumping puzzles, looking up answers to some of the quiz questions in the library books on the shelves.
This game, was a GREAT example of learning and gaming working to educate kids.
Seriously, there were arguments about who could play it that week.


That said, whilst thinking about the good ones, I did think of some of the real stinkers I came across as a kid. The below is one of them, though I can't exactly remember why I hated it.

The Hooray for Henrietta series... I'm POSITIVE we had a Hooray for Henry as well but I'm finding so little information on the Henrietta one that I'm questioning my sanity. I remember the title, something about custard either on the packaging or in the game, and that I didn't really like it. Nothing else.
I suppose it did well enough that I remember many many years on the title, but I really doubt it taught me much.

So yeah, a few games from the past.
I hope you all have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment