Saturday 21 June 2014

Starting with the past. Part 3

Greetings one and all!

Since I started to touch on console games last post, I'm carrying on now to some more.

Starting with one that STUMPED me and my neighbour for a fair while.

The Lion King - Sega MegaDrive 2 version.
LOVED this game.
Loved The Lion King, and loved the way this game covers both kid simba and adult simba.
Wasn't so keen on the Wilderbeast section, that involved some real memorisation of the damn thing and even then if you weren't quite right. BAM, dead.
However that wasn't what stumped us.
What stumped us was how to beat scar.
See, the thing the game DIDN'T tell us how to do, was that attack where you lunge at an enemy who is panting, and roll under and flip them.
It was pure chance that one day my friend was playing the game in adult mode with a controller with FAR too many buttons. Twice the standard, plus repeat buttons and a weird circular directional pad. It was kinda for cheating, but when using that and randomly mashing buttons Simba did this new move!
It took a bit longer to work out HOW to do the move intentionally, but then when we did it, we beat the game. It was good. We had overcome the nightmare that was Scar!
WE RULED!
That said it didn't make the hyena level any bloody easier.

Another game I played a lot as a kid on the Megadrive 2 was James Pond 2.
Now...when I was a kid I never noticed this, but in the UK version, you can see there are a LOT of McVities products (such as penguin bars and such)
When I found out as an adult I paused, blinked, looked it up and holy moly!
That said, game is HARD and LONG. Hard as in a lot of the jumps or beasties can be pixel perfect. Go the wrong route and BOOM, your as good as dead.
Sadly, this is one of FAR FAR FAR too many games I could think of that I own, that I have NEVER actually finished.

(I'm currently trying to work my way through my steam list to finish off games I've had sitting here a few years. Sadly the Steam Summer Sale has just started so such an endevour is going to take a lot longer!)

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for today.
I hope you all have a lovely evening!

2 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember playing the Lion King... I don't know how or why, but I remember the wildebeast bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that it's because it's memorable in the film and in the game. Plus after that level on the Hakuna Matata level you have those REALLY annoying bits with the frogs... and that stupid gorilla.

      Delete