Monday 23 June 2014

Starting with the past. Part 5

Greetings one and all!

I wasn't sure what to write about today. So many games that they all started to blur a little, however, as I was randomly browsing the internet I stumbled over an article of REALLY bad games that the writer believed should never had been written.
On that note I'm writing about a game that is NOT on that list (but is related to one that IS)


Toejam and Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron.
Sega Megadrive 2 (Are we noticing a trend here yet?)
I'll quickly mention that I never played the first game. This game came with my 2nd hand sega megadrive 2 along with a few other titles. I did know someone who was in my class in year 4 who HAD the first game, but could never get them to agree on a time I could borrow it and then the year ended and we went to different middle schools (I was schooled in a 3 tier system. R-4, 5-8, 9-11/13. That's school years, not age years)
So this game.
Fun
Silly
Bonkers
And yet, there's an extra depth to it I've come to REALLY appreciate in the last few years.
It. Is. BRIGHT.
Seriously.
I loaded this game up (via the steam copy I happily own) and my eyeballs nearly disowned me on the spot with how many bright and almost neon colours were assulting my eyes. It's beautiful to look at, silly to play and a lot of fun.
Sure there's some frustration, but that was kind of the THING at the time, and I can appreciate it.
It held your hands a touch at the start, gave tips along the way and let you get on with it. Heck it even takes the mick out of you at times by hiding rubbish in items where your searching for food (health) or special jars or points or something. Meaning if your not paying close attention to what your doing BAM! A tyre to the head, or a rubbish bin accross the bonce.

There's also the collecting items element, which if I remember rightly was REALLY difficult, even more so in a time before the internet and there sure as FIG NUT weren't any walk throughs in the local shops! Oh good LORD no we were not living in an area important enough to have a walkthrough or help guide we could buy. Even in a shop that sells games. No no no.
I don't think we ever got everything. I remember us getting MOST of the items, because they were hard to find, but yeah. A really really good game that's more than a little bonkers.


In terms of what I mentioned before about a game that was on a list of games that should never be made?
TJ+E3... For the xbox.
I never played it. I remember being REALLY excited when I heard it was an actual thing.... then I saw the box art and back cover and just gave up ALL hope.
Because turning two groovy aliens into 'hip hop' or 'rap' characters.... *shudder*

That's all for now.
Have a lovely evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment